Here is a a great recipe for the best baked chicken parmesan ever! Don’t for get to make Berry sorbet for desert!
I love to cook. It doesn’t matter if it is something simple like pancakes that take 2 minutes to prepare or throwing together some wings for the big game. However, my favorite thing in the world to cook is Itilian food. Over the years, I have tried many recipes and created many dishes for our family. By far, my wife and kids love my homemade baked chicken parmesan. The best part… no messy oil or unwanted calories since it is not fried.
Here is what you will need
- 2-3 lbs. of Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 large Eggs (for an egg wash)
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1/2 Panko Bread Crumbs (unseasoned)
- 1/2 cup homemade bread crumbs (I used stale wheat bread-usually crust from sandwiches)
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon of Pepper, divided (I prefer fresh cracked black pepper)
- 2 tablespoons for Parmesan and Romano Cheese (fresh is best)
- 1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
First begin by combining all the ingredients you will need for the Breading. In a container and both bread crumbs, garlic and onion powder, oregano, basil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper, and cheese. I found using a container with a lid is the easiest since you can just add everything and give it a good shake to combine everything evenly. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Next you will want to prep your chicken by either butter flying, or slicing it into a thickness of approximately 1/4 inch thickness.
In a bag (gallon sized Ziplock works great) combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and give it a good shake. Then add your chicken and coat the chicken evenly.
Once the chicken is coated in the flour mixture dip the chicken in the egg wash.
After the egg wash, add it to the bread crumb coating mixture and then you are ready to cook at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
TIP: Cook the chicken on a baking rack. This will ensure that the chicken will be crispy and the breading will not off, as on a baking sheet.
Remove from the oven and add your favorite sauce and the mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese has melted (usually 1-2 minutes).