Do you notice that it gets harder to make decisions toward the end of the day?
You’re too tried to figure out what to have for dinner or what to watch on TV. That’s because we all have a finite amount of decisions that we can make on any given day.
Knowing that helps us prioritize. We can cut out a lot of decision making by implementing habits and routines. That way we save the decisions for the important stuff. It also frees brain space for more creative and productive thinking. Routines are great tools that simplify our lives and cut out a lot of our daily stress.
Chances are you already have a morning routine.If not, check out these other sample schedules here.
Here are some easy ways you can create more routines in your day:
- Implement some routines into your day wherever possible.
- Meal planning helps you figure out what meals to fix and eat.
- A chores system for kids makes sure you stay on track with your household chores without having to spend any valuable decision-making skills in the process.
- Wrap your day up with a bedtime routine that not only helps when you’re too tired to make smart choices, it also helps you fall asleep more easily.
- Before bed, do a few chores that make the next morning easier. Tidy up the kitchen and get the kids’ school things in order for example.
- Come up with a few calming things that help you and your family slow down and get ready for sleep (like the next tip)We started implementing a 30-minute-reading time after dinner. We all get the book that we are reading & sit in the living room or on the back porch to read. We set a timer & read for 30-minutes, without any distractions. It’s become our favorite time of the day.
How to turn your schedule into a routine & habit
Sit down with a pen and piece of paper and think about what parts of your day and week you can turn into routines & eventually into habits. Write down and create daily to-do lists for yourself until you’ve established these new habits and routines.
Spending a little bit of time creating routines and habits will make your day run a lot smoother
You might just find yourself less stressed and get more done during your productive hours. And that’s a great thing.
It allows you to save plenty of decision making for the fun stuff like figuring out what park to go to, what family movie to watch or what board game to play.